Breakfast, Recipes

Fluffy Omelette

Are you looking for something for breakfast that is just a little different to your usual?

This omelette recipe is something I’ve been making since I was in secondary school. A teacher taught the technique in a home economics class and ever since I personally consider there is no other way to make omelettes.  It’s probably time to share it with you and I hope you love it as much as I do.

Fluffy Omelette

Serves 1

♥ Ingredients ♥

2 eggs, separated *
a pinch of table salt
a pinch of ground white pepper
butter or non-stick cooking spray for cooking

Your choice of filling, chopped (for example: spring or red onion, pre-fried sliced mushrooms, tomato, grated or sliced cheese, raw or cooked red capsicum, ham or cooked bacon, chives or parsley).

* quantity of eggs can easily be adjusted up and down as desired. My husband has a 3-egg omelette. Beware though, the larger the omelette the harder it is to successfully flip.

 
♥ Instructions ♥

Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites in one bowl. Beat with an electric beater until stiff peaks form.

In another bowl add a pinch of pepper to the egg yolks and beat with the same beaters used on the whites (no need to rinse them off), until they are light in colour and frothy.

Carefully fold the yolks into the whites with a rubber scraper, trying not to knock too much air out of the whites.

Heat a fry pan or an electric fry pan. The mixture has a lot of body so don’t be afraid of using a larger pan. Scrape the mixture into the hot pan that has been greased with butter or sprayed with a non stick spray. I recommend butter as it adds a nice flavour. Butter is also more natural and is an appetite suppressant! Yes, you read that right – it helps suppress the appetite! Spread the egg mixture to the desired size and thickness – I usually go for about an inch in height.

Cook on one side until the top starts to dry out. Using the widest spatula you’ve got, flip it over. It’s almost the trickiest part. 😉

While it’s cooking the underside, spread your selected toppings over one half of the omelette.

omelette

Carefully fold it in half – if you can. If your toppings are overly generous, like mine tend to be, it might not stay folded, or it can crack along the fold line. Slide or lift out onto a plate and devour.

Folding the omelette and getting it out of the pan are the trickiest parts. 90% of occasions it will hold together for me, but the other 10% can be a total mess. That’s okay, it doesn’t change the taste and so long as you’re not serving it to a paying customer, it’s all good. 😉

My favourite filling is fairly simple – spring onion, tomato and cheese with a good grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of salt on top. Delicious.

omelette served

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Fluffy Omelette”

  1. Folding for me is the hardest! I am so proud of a well-cooked omelet but then I try to fold and transfer on to a plate and all hell breaks loose! Nothing makes me happier than a perfectly folded omelet on my plate! Haha. But this recipe looks delish! Will hopefully try it for breakfast this week and keep you posted! 🙂 xx – Kavi

    Like

    1. I know, right. Folding one perfectly is a sight to behold with a beautifully golden crust. Mmmm. Hope it goes well for you and I’d love to hear what you think. 🙂 Thanks Kavindra (love your name!)

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s